Leaving Prague, a beautiful morning overlooking the Moldau River and Prague Castle in the distance. We boarded our buses for a 4-hour ride to Regensburg, Germany where we would board our boat for a 7-day cruise on the Danube River.
Driving over the Moldau, a panorama of Prague from our bus, with the castle and cathedral on the hill to the left and Old Town on the right.
Once out of town, we encountered many bright fields of rape which is used to make canola oil. This is the little town of Litice in the Czech Republic.
The picturesque little town of Kladruby along the highway with rape fields in the distance.
An old fortified hill town, Leuchtenberg, Germany with the remains of a castle.
More bright rape seed fields north of Regensburg.
Arriving in Regensburg, Germany, we crossed the old Stone Bridge which was in a state of major restoration. It crosses the Danube and dates back to the 12th century. Until the 1930's, it was the city's only bridge across the Danube!
Pretty Regensburg from the Stone Bridge. The clock tower is part of the City Hall or Rathaus.
Domplatz, or Cathedral Square is lined with restaurants. We had lunch at the Haus Heuport straight ahead. The cathedral is behind us in this picture.
St. Peter's Cathedral in Regensburg. It dates to the 1300's, but was not "finished" until 1520. The towers, however, were only added in 1859-69.
A panorama of the side of St. Peter's cathedral in Regensburg.
A gargoyle on the cathedral....see previous picture to find them on the walls.
The interior of the cathedral in Regensburg.
The main altar of the cathedral in Regensburg.
Stained glass above the altar.
Stained glass in the side windows.
Our tour guide told us that tall towers, like this one, were built as displays of wealth in the middle ages.
A tower and courtyard of a wealthy family of the middle ages.
Rathaus Platz or Old Town Hall Square. The Rathaus dates to the 14th century.
The clocktower of the new Town Hall, adjacent to the Ratskellar.
The Old Stone Bridge over the Danube, under major repairs.
Our first sight of our ship, the "Esprit".